Sunday, June 20, 2010

Patients ask the HARDEST questions!

After graduating from residency, I was proficient with managing strokes, working up new onset atrial fibrillation, treating severe congestive heart failure, managing a ventilator, placing central lines, doing lumbar punctures, and treating severe diabetic ketoacidosis in the ICU. BUT, I couldn't answer these simples questions:
  1. Why do people hiccup?
  2. Why do I get so many cramps in my legs?
  3. What do I do if the Nix doesn't get rid of my lice?
  4. Why do babies spit up so much?
  5. How do I burp a baby?
  6. What do I do if my 8 month old baby doesn't poop in two days?
It amazes me how family practice residencies can train young doctors to be so proficient in handling complicated medical problems, and yet new graduates know so little about the intricacies of burping!

0 comments:

Post a Comment